Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Just my take......

  As I said before I’m a Facebook fan and I do enjoy it…a lot actually. Anyway, today I logged on and there were more than a few posts on my wall with the caption “Competition for the most beautiful teen”. Apparently female teens post there picture on some site and then post their picture onto Facebook. If you think they are beautiful you hit “like” and that’s one vote for them, now don’t get me wrong, all the girls pictures ARE beautiful, BUT are we not ALL beautiful in our own way? It really did get to me when I saw female adults hitting the “like” button on the different pictures. As a mother of 2 very beautiful daughters I have always tried to instil the value of beauty on the inside, not just the outside. I know some very beautiful girls and women but on the inside they are not so beautiful. Society as a whole puts so much pressure on our young teen girls already, what a sad thing it is to see the Facebook society contribute to the pressure of being the most beautiful teen.
 Another point that gets to me is that Facebook is a very public forum, where people can hide behind a name that may be false, giving them the opportunity of being a threat to those young girls. Case in point, there are more than a few people on my Facebook that do not use their real name. Anyway my point really is that I find it sad that adults, both men and women would actually take part in this kind of activity.



Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. ~Kahlil Gibran

3 comments:

Judy said...

I just wish all parents would teach their daughters that they are beautiful, from day 1. But that their outer beauty doesn't define their worth - their inner beauty does.

Anonymous said...

well said and Kahil Gibran is one of my favourite authors.

Al Penwasser said...

I agree with you 100%.
A personal nightmare: if I saw my daughter's picture in something like that.
Incidentally, I'm one of those of whom you speak (i.e., there is no such person as "Al Penwasser").