Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Letter P

Today's blog is brought to you by the letter P

P is for Pickle


The birth of the pickle

Once a cucumber has reached the perfect ripeness, it is harvested with love and care. One can either prepare the cucumber as a delicious raw vegetable or depending on what type of pickle you wish the cucumber to become you can bathe it in brine juice. Now I love cucumbers period, but I am also a pickle fiend. I think nothing about grabbing a jar of dill pickles and poking a fork inside the open jar to retrieve a nice thick crisp cold dill pickle. Oh to hear the crunch and feel the tart juices tantalize my taste buds. Now that’s an amazing taste.


During my vacation to Myrtle Beach a few years ago, I was introduced to a couple different things regarding a 2 of my favourite things. The first was the way they prepared their hamburgers. Now I’m not one that likes onions on my hamburger, but was very surprised when my hamburger was served and there were onions on them. The cool thing was that the onions were deep fried with batter, aka – onion rings. I absolutely loved it. Now the second thing that I was introduced to was deep fried pickles. That’s right, deep fried pickles. If you haven’t heard of them, they do exist. If you have heard of them but have never tried them, go for it. They are so good. OMG…I could have a platter of them for dinner and I’d be more than satisfied!


Fried pickles
Fried pickles are a snack food found commonly in the American South. It is made by deep-frying a sliced battered dill pickle.Fried Dill Pickles were popularized by Bernell "Fatman" Austin in 1963 at the Duchess Drive In located in Atkins, Arkansas. The Fatman's Recipe is only known to his family and used once each year at the annual Picklefest in Atkins, held each May. The recipe for Fried pickle at Wikibooks is a general one. Fried pickles are served at food festivals and menus of individual and chain restaurants nationwide. They can be eaten as an appetizer or as an accompaniment to other dishes. Fried pickles are frequently served with a ranch or other creamy sauce for dipping.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denis and I were at a local diner that was established way back in the 60s. The owner walked over to us and asked if we wanted to try his new addition to the menu...it was a deep fried pickle. I was kind of apprehensive at first, but they were delicious!

I'm so glad that you went with P is for pickle rather than my idea lol

K. Jean said...

Try Batampte brand pickles...Kosher dills. Yum.

Unknown said...

i'll certainly have to try that!!!!